Cunning Debators and Master Linguists
As per Daryl's request. Anyway I just wanna say that in the past I've always been quite a coward when it comes to debating, probably cos I'm not that good a speaker and can't argue stuff very well. It doesn't help that I've been around a Mastur-Debator so long that I can't help but think: Mun, if you can't talk like that, then you should just shut up cos you'll lose anyway. Yeah, so that's why when it comes to intellectual things I usually try not to say too much.
But like I said, this is a cowardly move, at least to me, because if we don't keep casting our beliefs against others, we'll never see how strong those beliefs are and we'll never improve. To just retreat into 'I know I'm right and no matter how good your argument are you'll never win, because I BELIEVE!!!' and cheesy things like that may be justified, especially if you think that your concept is stronger and more sound but that you can't defend it cos you're not that good a speaker, but at the end of the day I think it's important that on issues that are central to our characters and who we are we make an effort to put ourselves into the fray and engage adversarial beliefs. On the other hand it's quite important to note that this may end up homogenising all beliefs in the world, because weak-willed people like me keep throwing away beliefs that have been proven wrong just on the basis of losing an argument.
So what am I really trying to say? I guess it's just that even if you don't have confidence in your abilities you need to have courage. And if you get defeated then you can either retreat into a shell to recuperate, or cast the old stuff aside for new stuff. Whichever you do probably depends on the situation and the kind of person you are. But the point is, that's the only way to get stronger, if that's your objective in life.
To end off some people might note that I've changed by nick to the extremely corny 'abandoned *' which Dave might realise is a reference to Bleach. Is it possible to have a different posting nick for different blogs? Cos I'm using that one on another blog but I'd like to keep Mun for this one.
But like I said, this is a cowardly move, at least to me, because if we don't keep casting our beliefs against others, we'll never see how strong those beliefs are and we'll never improve. To just retreat into 'I know I'm right and no matter how good your argument are you'll never win, because I BELIEVE!!!' and cheesy things like that may be justified, especially if you think that your concept is stronger and more sound but that you can't defend it cos you're not that good a speaker, but at the end of the day I think it's important that on issues that are central to our characters and who we are we make an effort to put ourselves into the fray and engage adversarial beliefs. On the other hand it's quite important to note that this may end up homogenising all beliefs in the world, because weak-willed people like me keep throwing away beliefs that have been proven wrong just on the basis of losing an argument.
So what am I really trying to say? I guess it's just that even if you don't have confidence in your abilities you need to have courage. And if you get defeated then you can either retreat into a shell to recuperate, or cast the old stuff aside for new stuff. Whichever you do probably depends on the situation and the kind of person you are. But the point is, that's the only way to get stronger, if that's your objective in life.
To end off some people might note that I've changed by nick to the extremely corny 'abandoned *' which Dave might realise is a reference to Bleach. Is it possible to have a different posting nick for different blogs? Cos I'm using that one on another blog but I'd like to keep Mun for this one.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home